Home > yourrights > privacy/spent convictions and the rehabilitation of offenders > spent convictions and the rehabilitation of offenders > Excluded Sentences
Convictions resulting in the following sentences can never become spent:
- A sentence of imprisonment, youth custody detention in a young offender institution or corrective training, for a term of more than two and a half years.
- A sentence of imprisonment for life
- A sentence of preventive detention.
- A sentence of imprisonment or detention for public protection, or an extended sentence under the Criminal Justice Act 2003
- Detention during Her Majesty’s pleasure or for life, or a sentence of custody for life.
- A sentence of detention for more than two and a half years in the case of a youth convicted of a grave crime
- Certain court-martial and military punishments