Public Utilities

Since the privatisation of the gas, electricity, water and telephone companies, the government has created watchdog bodies for each industry.

If a complaint to the company itself at a local or regional level (addresses will be in the phone book) does not lead to a solution, you should complain to the regulator. Such complaints may be about standards of service or matters relating to billing.

Below are the relevant general addresses. :

Electricity and Gas

is the regulator for the gas and electricity industries. Its stated role is to promote choice and value for all customers. Contact details are:

9 Millbank London
Tel: 0207 901 7000
Their website has more information on how to complain:

is an independent consumer organisation representing the interests of all gas and electricity consumers. Energywatch can investigate customer complaints, assist in resolving disputes and can refer matters to OFGEM for possible enforcement action. Energywatch can only assist if you have first attempted to resolve the problem yourself directly with the energy supplier. Their website has information on how to complain:


If you have a problem or a complaint about the service that you receive from your local water and sewerage company, you should first speak to the company to try and resolve matter.

If after following the company's procedure the matter is still not resolved to your satisfaction, you can make a complaint to the
Consumer Council for Water (CCWater). this is an independent organisation that represents consumers of water and sewarage services in England and Wales. You can find out more on how to complain to CCWater through their website:

If your complaint against your water company is about unfair terms in consumer contracts, excessive or predatory pricing, competition issues or failure to comply with their statutory duties, then your complaint should be directed to OFWAT. Ofwat is the economic regulator of the water industry. You can find out more about how to complain to Ofwat through their website:

Ofcom is the regulator for the UK communications industries, with responsibilities across television, radio, telecommunications and wireless communications services. This includes internet service providers.

If you have problems with your landline or mobile phone provider, internet service provider, or television or radio services , you may be able to complain to Ofcom. Their website has information on how to complain:

If you are unhappy with the service provided by a postal service operator, you should seek to resolve the matter with the operator at first instance. If you are not satisfied with their response, you can contact Postwatch. Postwatch can provide advice and information on postal services and will deal with complaints where customers have been unable to resolve problems with their postal services provider.

Their website has further information on how Postwatch can help:
kitsiteLottery Funded